Thursday, June 17, 2010

Things I've Learned and Other Stuff

So YAY I finished my first round of chemo today , gee seems like just the day before yesterday I started it...oh it was. So far this is how it's gone: go to chemo, run a brief errand or two ( post office, quick stop to pick up an RX), home, lunch, collapse until dinner time, have dinner, manage to stay awake for a few hours, pass out until about 4 am then snooze, watch TV, whatever until it's time to get up and do it again.
I've also learned some new terms this week like "chemo brain", I have experienced this several times, it's when the word or thought is right there in your head and it's not coming out, or maybe it's a bit confused and you can't put it all together quickly enough to make sense. I'm told this is pretty common and although frustrating should pass after chemo.
Of course there are all those medical terms, names of scans and names of chemo drugs and all sorts of terms that unless you're a medical student or a cancer patient you'll probably blessedly have no need for.
But my new favorite term, obviously generated by an insurance company employee with an odd sense of humor is...are you ready? Cranial Prosthesis , new skull part maybe? Well almost..a cranial prosthesis is a darn WIG! They tell me that I have a 98% of losing my hair with the type of chemo I'm on...I'm OK with that. In the hair/life thing, life wins hands down. Anway someone said see if your insurance will cover a wig, so I started looking and my secondary insurance certainly will cover a cranial prosthesis. I read the literature and it said to buy your CP before all your hair falls out so you can match color better if you want to and you can get it styled so you're ready to go when the inevitable happens. So this AM I bought my very first CP, I'm not sure how much I'll wear it, probably just when I'm out and about and it's not 85 degrees, but I think it's a good thing to have just in case I happen to buy the 10,000th gallon of ice cream at the local Stewart's Shop and have to be on TV(it could happen). I think the reason I really wanted one was so I could actually say that I own a cranial prosthesis, hey it sounds like something smart, maybe people will think I had a brain implant to overcome the effects of "chemo brain".

2 comments:

Landra said...

I wonder if you could also get false eyelashes? I'm wracking my brain and can't seem to come up with an IC (Insurance Correct) name for them.

Sue said...

Um this could be good , let me think, prosthetic eye dust collectors? Nah it would need to be more technical than that.