Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Shall We Dance?


Today was my first day of chemo, at 8:00am about 8 of us and some of our support people ambled into the chemo room and took our places in the lounge chairs that line 3 of the 4 walls. The majority of attendees were older men, many accompanied by their wives.
The chemo techs are all very efficient and kind and they began hooking us up to our various cocktails of cancer killers. I sat there and looked around the room and thought if they just brought in a counselor we could have a support group too. I've always thought of my health issues as kind of a private matter to be shared with people I choose, not here, here we are all members of the same club. I think that's why people bring other folks with them to sort of be a buffer from the other people in the room. Not that they probably aren't very nice people and maybe I'll get to know one or two over time but for a first day it was kind of overwhelming.
Anyway there are different protocols for administering these drugs and mine ; along with 3 of the older gentlemen included an intravenous does of Lasix ( a fluid reducing drug; translation you run to the bathroom ALOT). And so began the dance of the IV poles to the one bathroom in the chemo room. It was a masterpiece to behold, each one of us in turn taking a sweep across the floor to the restroom and back to our assigned place. I of course got the IV pole with the "bad shopping cart wheels" I think they probably give this to the newbies to see how well we can cope with not only the 'dance " but a bad partner. This whole exercise also brought back memories of trying to quietly remove myself from rooms to use the facilities only to have some wiseass at a party yell " we know where' you're going" .
But hey I survived, I survived 2 different medications, the dance of the IV poles and 4 1/2 hours in a lounge chair in the chemo room....OK so I came home and passed out for a good while but I'm OK. No nausea yet and hopefully never, just bone weary fatigue...I can deal with that. Tomorrow I go back just for 1 drug, about 1 hour and then I can rest.
Stay tuned for my brief adventure into insurance company lingo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed when I read about the wonky wheel. Only you Sue, only you. :) I was praying for you today and will continue to do so. I hope to get up to NNY this summer. You bet your ass that I want to visit!

Karen

PBR.Tina said...

Hugs Sue, we are all pulling for you and healing thoughts and prayers and floating your way.
Tina
aka
ladywolf

Landra said...

If you'd asked me in advance, I'd have said there was no way you could make me laugh about chemo. You definitely proved me wrong. Keep that sense of humor going, Sue. You're the best!