Friday, June 25, 2010

Some silly nutrition and TGIF

So when I met with the radiologist this week first I had a meeting with one of his nurses. His name was Frank ( I think) could have been Fred, anyway he was explaining about how radiation works and what it is and pretty much giving me the standard speech. Then he got to the part about nutrition and making sure you have enough calories in your diet and I just started to laugh. He looks up at me like I'm crazy and I say " Frank, (or Fred) you are the first medical person (or for that matter any person) who has ever cautioned me about not getting enough to eat." Now yes I understand about good nutrition, especially while undergoing cancer treatment but hey in 55 years no one has ever said "we need to make sure you eat enough" so for me it was a little personal joke :). Fred (or Frank) got it too and we had a nice laugh. BTW chemo does make things taste different and I find I have less tolerance for really sweet things but bring on the salt! Thankfully there is such a thing as semi-sweet chocolate :)
This has been an interesting week for me. Good news about no wandering cancer, productive meeting with the radiologist, actually having some treatment plans in place. Getting shot with radioactive stuff not once but twice ( different test yesterday). I also experienced a new side effect that I think comes from the medicine they give you to keep your blood counts normal. This is not a fun side effect, it feels like someone is squeezing the muscles in your back and then twisting them. This wasn't something I was prepared for or had read about so when it hit at 3am ( as these things tend to do) I'll admit I was a bit freaked out. Some tylenol, a heathing pad and a good self talking to calmed things down some but this nasty bit of business has been with me for a couple of days now and I'm ready for it to move along. A woman I know who is a cancer survivor told me to always remember there are good days and not so good days but no bad days. I'd have to agree, a bad day would be having this nasty disease and not being able to do anything for it. So, if some medicine is going to make me have some not so good days in order to make me have all kinds of great days down the road, I'll take the tylenol, use the heating pad and sleep it through.
So here we are at Friday, I'm oficially not working while I undergo treatment so you might think I wouldn't care if it's Friday or not. Well I do because that means I get 2 days of not being stuck by anyone, injected with anything and no rides on the scanning machines that I've come to know so well. Yesterday after the second test I mentioned to someone in the cancer center waiting room that fighting cancer can be a full time job, she agreed.

No comments: