Monday, June 14, 2010

Let The Games Begin


Tomorrow I go for my first chemotherapy appointment. I have to be there at 8am, that alone is enough to make me cranky. Anyway I was trying to figure out what to bring with me, my iPod I guess and a book to read, I could bring my laptop but I don't know if I can get a outside connection. Maybe I need to invest in a handheld video game, maybe not. I have tetris on my phone if I could figure out which buttons do what.
Up until now the only experience I had with chemo was when my late crazy boyfriend was going to Syracuse once a week. He was treated at the Regional Oncology Center with is relatively new and apparently very well funded. There each patient has his or her own cubicle and their own TV, there were nurses and volunteers with warm blankets and juice and cookies and all in all it was a well appointed atmosphere to spend a few hours in. Here as far as I can tell, there's a room with alot of lounge type chairs, a ( as in 1) TV and I wasn't there long enough to scope out cookies or warm blankets. Now mind you I don't think this has any impact on the level of care patients receive from the staff and as a matter of fact my little corner of the world is probably a bit more personal and less institutional but the other place sure was nice. Kinda like the difference between the Motel 6 and the Marriott, but hey the Marriott never left the light on for me. I've been reading alot about cancer treatment and visualization so I've decided I'm going to think of the chemo like a pacman gobbling up all the cancer cells....probably nothing someone hasn't thought of before but it seems to work for me it was that or Hungry Hungry Hippos and that's too darn noisy for me. So I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow, hopefully a totally uneventful experience that somehow involves cookies.

No comments: