Monday, June 21, 2010

Thank You Funny Technician !

So today I had a bone scan, apparently this involves making one's self radioactive for a couple of days...who knew?
Anyway, I spent way too much time out of the A/C yesterday and when I do that I pay the price because my asthma/ allergies really act up ( they were saying at the Dr's office today this has been one of the worst allergy seasons on record, figures) and add to that a touch of tumor and breathing can be a chore. So this AM breathing was kind of like inhaling soup and I wasn't sure what I should take if anything because of the chemo...let's just say I went a bit batshit crazy which only makes things worse....fight or flight and all of that.
So I had to go get "nuked" and I was feeling a little shaky, the technician takes me into the room and she asks which arm, looks for a vein and we're just sort of chatting. So I say , pick which ever spot is good for you because I'm sure you know what you're doing and she says well you're only #2 today and the first one didn't go so well and then she smiles....I thought OMG a tech with a sense of humor I love this woman! So she shoots me up with the glowing stuff and then I have to come back in 2 hours for the actual test.
In the meantime I go to my regular Dr. to beg for something so I can breathe and he gives me a nice shot and says come back Thursday and he did answer my questions about what I could take and not take..so I was circling for a landing when I got back to the bone scan.
So an actual bone scan involves lying still for a long time while the machine does the work, this is perfect for me! Again the tech was just so laid back and I'm sure she has this routine down pat ( I'm here all weekend, try the veal) but hey it was new to me and much appreciated. At one point the machine came down and rested on my chest and she said "you're going to feel the machine touching you, don't worry if I hear anything crack I'll ease up" again the smile..she also told me not to go to Canada in the next couple of days because with the radioactive stuff in me they wouldn't let me back into the USA...true? I have no clue, but it was kinda funny.
Anway thank you body scan lady whoever you are, I appreciate that you recognized a crazy woman and helped to make everything better.

2 comments:

Fred said...

That was a fun post in the midst of a difficult situation. I was in for some kidney stone blasting this morning and thanks to Danielle's sense of humor, we were able to have some laughs with the nurses and tech's.
We will be praying for you Sue.

Landra said...

Maybe she can give lessons to Miss Congeniality at the pulmonologist's office! (Just make sure it's not Miss Congeniality who grabs the bull by the horns and gives your wonderful technician the lessons!)