Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Little Vision Late at Night


This thing in the picture is a vision board. It's a tool some people use when they want to direct their thoughts in a certain direction or just to help make things clearer. I put this board together right after my diagnosis. I'm sure it looks totally random to anyone but me, but the main theme is down at the bottom right. " Keep Calm and Carry On." This is something I need to remind myself daily, sometimes more than others but everyday.
Last night I got to experience the first of some side effects of the chemo. I won't go into detail but let's just say they could be worse and they are manageable and once I got that into my little pea brain I was alot better. Anyway of course this is me, and if I'm going to get a side effect it's NOT going to be on the list of 1000 possible side effects . What was happening made sense to me but I couldn't find this particular sympton anywhere, so I decided to " Keep Calm and Carry On" until this AM and see how things were.
Well I still had the symptom this AM but I made it through the night without detriment so I figured I was OK. To be on the safe side I decided to call the oncologist's office (I know it's Saturday) and just ask if this was something they'd dealt with before and if there was anything I should be doing.
Well apparently the oncologist's office dosen't deal with patients on the weekend as I was instructed to call my primary care physician if I had any problems and if I was running a temperature to go to the ER. So I called my family doc and sure enough it is a side effect of the chemo and he explained it all to me and told me not to worry it was OK and to call him again if I needed him this weekend and to check in with him on Monday to let him know how it was going. Now that's a Dr.!
I suppose I could rant now about the oncologist and them not having any coverage on the weekends but why waste my time? It's their practice they can do what they want and I guess when you're the only game in town you can really do what you want.
Besides, I'm going to follow my plan of Keep Calm and Carry On.

No comments: