Wednesday, September 29, 2010

As Time Goes By

My dear friend Diane passed away on Sunday. It seems like just yesterday that we were freshmen room mates at Luther College , our first time away from home, trying to act brave and "cool". Who'd have thought that September day over 30 years ago would lead me to this September day. I will miss her, there are memories that only we shared like our madcap trip across country to attend college in Nebraska, and twisting pretzles on a hot summer afternoon in Kutztown, PA. These things seem so long ago and yet not. Rest well my friend.
I found out this week that my radiation treatments will be done next week. I only have 6 to go and then maybe my body can start to heal and I can get closer to the long wanted bacon cheeseburger. This may sound crazy but I'm going to miss going there everyday. It's been a place of security, where folks knew what I was going through and were there to help if I needed it. I think I'm going to feel a bit abandoned for awhile. It won't be long though and I'll be back talking about what we do next. Preventative measures will start in a couple of months.
I'm hoping to go back to work soon too, it'll be good to replace one routine with another and this routine is definately less frightening. My only concern is that I still get so tired very quickly but I'll only be working part time and once I get on a schedule that should help alot.
My grandson is going to be baptized this Sunday, the kids are doing it here in the church that Chris grew up in across that street from our house. Wow I remember taking him to Sunday school when he was just a tot and now Rex will be part of that church family.
Many people have told me that think I should publish this blog. I would like to, with added comments as I look back. I have no clue about publishing except for self publishing and I think this would be too big a project for that. I want to share these thoughts with folks who are going through the same thing and also with the people around them. I've found comfort in sharing my thoughts and I hope I can help others. So if any of you know anyone who knows something about publishing or who might send me in the right direction please let me know. I know the story isn't over but I'd like to get a start on putting it together.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sue - this isn't a formal publication but if you're interested in turning your blog into a nice looking book, try Blurb.

http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook

I love reading your blog and how you're kicking ass and taking names.

Landra said...

What an intense time this must be for you! A few years ago, I was critically ill. I am grateful with every fiber of my being that it was something that could be "fixed" with no permanent repercussions. However, for nearly two years, I spent a good portion of my waking (and sleeping) hours reliving the experience. So I can only begin to imagine how this must be affecting you. Fortunately it hasn't destroyed your wicked sense of humor!

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

So sorry to hear about your friend Diane...hope to have you back at work soon..hugs and smooches..