Monday, September 13, 2010

Too Hot to Handle


Last Friday when I went to radiation the tech said she thought I was getting a bit too red. She told me to make sure I kept cream on my neck and chest all weekend and she'd make sure I saw the Dr. first thing Monday.
I am a very fair skinned person and have a tendency to burn very easily, the radiation is very , very strong and she was right I was getting very red. Anyone who's ever had a very bad sunburn knows you tend to keep "cooking" even after you get in out of the sun and the same is true for radiation, the only difference being you can't use sunscreen when you're getting radiation. So as the weekend progressed so did my burn. When I got up this morning and had to wash off the burn cream in order to go to the Dr. I thought I was gonna die.
It's never a good thing when the Dr. walks through the examining room door and says " Good Morn...oh my gosh you certainly have a nasty burn going on there!" So I've been grounded from radiation until maybe Thursday, which is OK by me because it gives my skin a chance to heal and my esophagus a chance to heal too. It does mean I'll be going to radiation an extra week though, so I think that takes me almost into October. Oh well.
Yesterday was my first Grandparents Day. Chris and Jenny brought Rex up for a visit and he promptly fell asleep on my lap. There's nothing better than a warm cuddly baby to make the world a good place. The other thing I love is the absolute joy that I see in Chris as he interacts with his son, that child will always know his Daddy loves him no matter what..wow!
So I'm done with chemo, on a break from radiation, aside from the side effects it's almost going to be like regular life for a day or two. I guess I'd better not get to used to it thought there's plenty more treatment to come.

1 comment:

Landra said...

You're one red hot mama!