Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Autumn and Other Stuff


Labor Day has passed, I'm not sure where my sunner went, it was mostly burried in a haze of Dr.'s appointments and treatments. Autumn is my favorite time of year. I love the colors and the cooler weather and I love the apples and cider and trips to the cider mill. This year I'll most likely only be able to enjoy cider adn apple sauce but that's OK. Our local cider mill makes a great cider icey too. I'll be heading up there to get one pretty soon.
So, if I was dehydrated last week, I've been REALLY dehydrated this week. So much so that I had to go back to the Dr. to get 2 IVs of saline and electrolytes. I thought I was done with the IVs but that'll teach me! I do feel much better after the infusions though. Hopefully thata'll be the end of my chemo problems, although this last drug still has a hold on my system that it seems not to want to let go. The Dr. gave me better drugs to handle the constant nausea and they seem to be doing the trick. You and only imagine my Mother when for several days I existed on only beef boullion and jello !
So under the ignorance is bliss heading I found out yesterday that the protocol I've been following with the chemo oand the radiation is a one of the toughest there is. I had no idea, but apparently the drugs I was given and the length of ratiation are very taxing for many people. I must say until I got this last new drug that I wouldn't have gotten if the other hadn't become unavailable; my side effects while bothersome were nothing like I've experienced in the past 2 weeks. How fortunate for me that I was so much better for the first 3/4 of the chemotherapy and my sympathies to those who have a horrible time with chemo all the time like I have had the past 2 weeks.
So now I still have about 3 weeks of radiation to go (every day M-F). I feel like a "crispy critter" now, with my radiation induced mega tan. We just changed target spots so hopefull my already crispy skin will get a bit of a break, but probably not. My diet is still liquid and very soft foods, yogurt, soup, some macaroni, ice cream etc. I can say I would kill for a juicy bacon cheeseburger but it's going to be awhile before I can have one of those again.
After radiation is some, then we wait a month or two for everything inside me to calm down and then we see how successful the treatment has been. I think this waiting is going to be tough but I'm praying the results are good and I can get on with my real life.
Anyway, if you get the chance go find some beautiful fall leaves and enjoy the glory of nature. I'll keep you posted on what's happening here while sipping a cider icee!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Please forgive the typos! I've been having connection problems so I posted fast without spell checking. My Bad!

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

I'm praying you get back to your real life soon too! Keep those positive thoughts!
Hugs and Sunshine
~from Sunbeam