Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sweet Tea and Chemo Brain


Oddly enough sometimes I think going through chemotherapy is like being pregnant. Maybe it's because of the chemical changes in your body , or maybe not, all I know is I haven't had cravings for things like I do these days since I was pregnant. This week's love is sweet tea, I can't seem to get enough of it. Which is OK because dehydration is always a concern with radiation and chemo. Also it's way better than last week's craving which was steak fries with lots of salt.
I've also discovered that I can't make good sweet tea, I don't know why but mine is always bitter. Thankfully the Lipton company sells gallon jugs of the stuff.
This week was a just radiation week so a couple of days I combined my trip to the hospital with other errands I had to run. One morning I stopped to buy gas and I couldn't get the pump to read my card so I could pay outside so the attendant said I should pre-pay inside. I went inside and got distracted buying a bottle of ( you guessed it) sweet tea, paid for my gas and tea walked out of the store and drove away. When I got to the parking lot of my next stop a nice lady told me my gas cap was open...well of course it was because I left the gas station without ever pumping the gas! This is called chemo brain.
I had two stops to make before I could get back to the gas station ( a Dr.'s appt. and radiation) but I was lucky enough that when I did get back the same woman was still there and she recognized me ( probably hard to forget a large bald woman) and let me pump my gas.
Speaking of chemo brain, I'm down to one last series of chemo treatments and they will happen the week of my birthday, I have a feeling I won't be interested in any cake that day. My oncologists PA apologised and I said "hey if it means I get to have a birthday next year I can totally give this one over to treatment". She liked that, but really I'm very lucky.
Sue, you have lung cancer how can you think you're lucky? Well, yes I do have lung cancer but it hasn't spread anywhere else, so far the treatment while tiring and sometimes sickening hasn't been horrible and I have a great support system of friends, medical professionals and family, so how am I not lucky? I figure if I have to have cancer I did it right. I don't know what the future is going to bring but right now things are going well and that's all I can think about.
So, now I think it's time for some tea, and if anyone out there knows how to make not bitter sweet tea let me know :)

No comments: