Friday, August 20, 2010

It's Going to be Quiet for Awhile


I have just completed week 3 of radiation, because of where my tumor is the radiation is burning my throat and the bottom of my esophagus. Ths makes eating an adventure in soft and or liquid food and I've pretty much lost my voice. They tell me things will stay this way until some weeks after I'm done with radiation which should put it sometime in early October.
This has been and I'm guessing will be one of the biggest challenges so far. There's just so many smoothies one can drink and ice pops one can eat before it all wears thin. Although speaking of thin I might lose a few pounds on this new diet.
I'm not quite sure I understand how some rays of light can make me exhausted most of the time and can make my skin in certain areas look like I've overdone the tanning bed thing but as they say in Cancerland " the cure can be worse than the cancer".
Next week I have to do chemo and radiation again, to be truthful I'm not looking forward to this but then anyone would be foolish to be looking forward to being squeamish for 5 or 6 days although this time I won't care if I eat or not so maybe it'll be OK.
I want to tell you about the woman who has become my "hero". Those of us who go to chemo and radiation frequently get to know each other. While waiting we chat with patients and spouses and the first question usually asked is " where did it get you?". There is this woman , probably my age, who has cancer of the sweat glands, I didn't even know you could get cancer in your sweat glands but apparently she had a primary cancer someplace else and then it moved to her sweat glands. She also walks with 2 canes because of some other problem she has. Well they have begun treating the glands on her forehead and her forhead looks like someone set it on fire and waited awhile to put it out. Many people would be avoiding going out in public because of this but not this lady. Several days a week she sits in the information booth at the hospital door and cheerfully directs people to the right place. I have to say whenever I've about had it with a sore throat and indigestion I just think of her and that's the kick in the butt I need to stay positive and on track.
Anyway if anyone has good smoothie recipes I'd be happy to try them, just a note I'm allergic to bananas and they seem to be in alot of smoothies. I'm ready to use my Ninja Pro blender thingy and make some good stuff!

1 comment:

Landra said...

You're still coming through loud and clear through this blog!

My smoothies pretty much involve yogurt, massive amounts of my favorite fruits, a bit of apple cider, and if it's still not sweet enough, a little honey. Yum.