Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chemo,Radiation and a Nap



Today I started round 3 of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. As always day 1 of the chemo round was 3 hours long ( the others are an hour) and I got to do the IV pole dance again although today I didn't have any partners so it was a solo act. As soon as I finished there we took off over to the cancer center at the hospital for radiation. They were backed up so what should have been 15 minutes took about 45. No big deal, they have a very nice waiting room.

I know I mentioned that I was supposed to get my tattoos today but I didn't because they were running behind ( translation , in 5 minutes it's lunch time). So we'll do that tomorrow , or so they say.

I never realized that having cancer could cause such bathing issues. I' m person who loves her showers and baths and since they've marked me for radiation and put these little plastic stickers on me I've had to just "rinse" because there are magic marker marks that need to stay there too. I've been afraid to take a nice bubble bath because I have this fear of seeing the little plastic things floating by. There are only 2 that would actually be submerged but for all I know those are the most important 2.

Then today they put in the port for the chemo ( under that huge mound of gauze), that stays in all 3 days, it's in the back of my left hand. I can't get that wet either ( note Eeyore watch, I love Eeyore). The last 2 times I used a glove from some hair coloring I had since I don't have any hair to color right now but I'm out of those. I'll ask for a couple of gloves at chemo tomorrow. So I guess tomorrow morning I'm just gonna "rinse" with my left hand sticking out of the shower curtain. Hmm maybe there's another old box of hair color in that cabinet.
When I got home I had some lunch ( I try to eat decent meals before the chemo gets around to turning my stomach upside down) and then it was nap time. I remember how Chris used to fight nap time when he was little, eventually I gave up forcing the issue and I'd inevitably find him sleeping someplace like on the living room floor. I, on the other hand, have come to like nap time because it literally gets me through the day. If I didn't come up here to my room and stretch out in the air conditioning I'd probably just fall asleep in a chair someplace and wake up a sore mess. Pretty soon I'll have to tell my grandson Rex that nap time is a good thing. Maybe he'll listen to his crazy grandma :).
Anyway, day 1 of radiation done, only 30 something more to go, hopefully I'll have my tattoos before it's over so I can really take a shower!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, my tatted-out, pole-dancing friend.

Landra said...

Wow, what a wild ride you're on! Keep that wicked sense of humor. My thoughts are with you, Tattooed Lady.