Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Once More With Feeling


Today began round two of my chemo. I have to say it was easier to go there now knowing what to expect.
Some other folks must be on the same rotation as I am because we recognized each other from the last time. For the most part the people there are pretty up beat this goes for patients and companions both. There was a new gentle man there today and he had what looked like his son and maybe his daughter with him. They were very serious and I think were kind of off put early in the morning when they heard the laughter coming from my end of the room. After an hour or so they started to relax.
Of course we had the IV pole ballet again but it was only a pas de deux today which made things a bit easier. We also talked about having a Christmas in July day and decorating our poles to look like Christmas trees. One woman was really getting into it figuring out how she could use battery powered lights and how she's stick a star on top. Those who have gone through this before me are right, attitude is everything, I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm going to laugh my way through this as much as I can because it's darn good medicine.
Speaking of IV's, I don't always have "easy access" veins so everyone uses the back of my left hand, it's constantly black and blue now. When I have chemo they put the little "port" thingy in my vein and then leave it there for the 3 days so they don't have to keep finding a new place and sticking me again...good plan, worked like a dream last time. This time the nurse that did it put it too close to my wrist so everytime I go to use my hand it reminds me it's there...annoying for sure. But then I remind myself it's only for 2 1/2 days and so what if my hand hurts a little. Next time will be better . I'll make sure of it :)
In unrelated randon thoughts: I seem to have developed a fondness for ginger ale..only Canada Dry though. Come to think of it my Dad had a fondness for ginger ale but his always had a splash of Seagrams 7 in it.
My grandson the amazing Rex turned over for the first time yesterday his Twitter ( yes, he has a Twitter courtesy of his Dad) said "Yeah, so I rolled over today. I'm kind of a big deal. People know me." Gosh I love my crazy family ! But again ya gotta laugh.
I predict that by this time next week I will have alot in comon with a cue ball, my hair is leaving faster than folks leaving NYC in the summer on a Friday afternoon. I'm thinking this will take at least 10 minutes off my morning prep time because that's all the time I spend on my hair anyway. I think I have the formula down, wash and dry head, go "naked" or put on a scarf, hat or cranial prosthesis ( wig). I could start to like this :)
Tomorrow I go to chemo and then I get to have a brain MRI, I guess they want to know if I have one and if I do why it works the way it does ( OK maybe not the why it works like this part). Actually it's part of the diagnostics, they want to make sure no little cancer cells decided to travel to parts north. Here's hoping they didn't and like my bones all is clear. Can you even imagine how my brain would work if they had to zap some cancer cells? We all know it works a little off center now, I don't think I want to know what a couple of zaps of radiation could do...unless it would help my spelling that woud be great!

1 comment:

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

IV pole ballet...mmm...sounds like it could be an olympic event...only....can you do that to "The Devil went Down to Georgia"?