Friday, July 2, 2010

Bad Hair Day


Yesterday while I was washing my hair I got a handful (of hair that is), my first thought was "damn that's gonna clog the drain" and then I thought " and so it begins". I decided to get it cut short so once it all goes ( if it does) it won't be that freaky and also so I wasn't shedding everywhere ( ick). So I called my hairdresser but she was booked into next week sometime and next week is chemo week for me so I went to the mall.

I was lucky enough to get a very nice young lady who's mother in law had gone through chemo so she understood what I was looking for and did a nice job with my new short "do". For those of you who've known me forever think high school for those who haven't think realy short LOL.

So I've been trying to decide what my chemo style is going to be. Of course I have my cranial prosthesis ( aka wig) but I honestly can't see me wearing that every day, especially in the summer and especially with the warnings I've gotten like don't get too close to a BBQ grill or it'll melt...OY! I'm not really a scarf person, I'd likely hang myself while trying to tie some of those creations. So that leaves au natural or hats. I bought a nice denim "bucket " hat yesterday covers everything, I had a " Life is Good" cap with a daisy on it that I really liked but I seem to have lost it so I guess I'll have to go get another. I could do the bandana thing but I think without hair there's nothing to keep a bandana from sliding off unless I tie it so tight I give myself a headache. You can buy little glue kind of strips to keep things in place, this is just getting too complex for me. I saw in a catalog that they sell "fringe" which is like bangs and hair that will show below a hat or scarf...oh come on! All I could think about then I read that were those dreadlock hats they sell at Halloween.
As I've said before, if a few months without har is part of the price of saving my life I'm all for it, and I guess I'll figure out my chemo style as I go along just as I have with most everything else on this crazy ride.

2 comments:

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

I think you're going to look a whole lot better then that cat! ...cats...bleh...

Landra said...

I love the cat! If I had one just like it, I'd never again complain of a bad hair day.

Actually, I wear my hair very short because I like it that way. I also wear great big sun hats all summer because I like them and I don't have to plaster my face with sun screen. But you've just pointed out another advantage: if I ever have to go through chemo, maybe no one will notice my lack of hair!

Actually, you might want to try out big brimmed sun hats. They always make me feel like I'm at a garden party.