Saturday, April 16, 2011

Round 2 in the Cancer Fight Begins


So those of you who follow my ramblings ( thank you) will have noticed that I've had trouble with my legs lately so I had some tests done to see what was going on and the answer I got wasn't a great one. OK well the good news there is no cancer in my brain, the not so good news is there is a spot near my spine which is what thas been causing my walking problems.

I found this out wheen my oncologist's office called at 9 am yesterday morning and gave me the news. Karen the PA seemed concerned but also very positive about this being something that we can get rid of and get me walking again. I frankly was just relieved to find out what was going on. She told me that I would need radiation again and that the radiation oncologist would meet me at his office at 10am even though it was his day off. So off I went to see Dr. Deblasio and my buddies at the cancer center. He told me pretty much the same thing Karen had and told me I have to take prednisone for the swelling and I'll be having radiation evey day for at leaast 3 weeks and we were starting it right then and he wanted me to come in today even though they usually dont't do treatments on Saturday. This time I get to lay on my stomach, this is a new experience,to have my butt radiated :).I have to comment on these folks at the center they are always helpful never condescending and with a sense of humor too.

So the other problem that needed to be resolved is that I can't climb stairs right now. Those of you who've been here know all the bedrooms are on the second floor and there is very little privacy. But we do have a back porch/ mudd room kind of thing at the back of the house which is now my world. Chris came up yesterday and he and Larry made me a nice little world. Only thng is all my sewing things are upstairs all my eBay stuff is upstairs etc so it's goin to be interesting. Right now I'm looking for a room divider screen so folks coming in the back door don't catch me taking a nap or just getting up( even though radiation is every morning). So if anyone out there knows of one I can borrow or buy let me know, apparently there isn't one to be purchased up here.

And so we begin round 2 in my fight with this disease, I'm ready, here we go again, I won before and I will win again. the PET scan for my adrenal gland will be delayed a month or more while we deal with this .

This may sounds strange but I'm grateful that I've been going to the oncologist and they ordered this test. If I had just been going to my regular Dr. he probably would have sent me to a neurologist or orthopedist and the last thing they would have thought of would be cancer which means it could have been weeks before this was identified. So even thoug it's not good news it is timely and it gives me a better chance of beating this too.

So off I go to but on my cancer fighting uniform and I will keep you all informed. All good thoughts are greatly appreciated and in my opinion have brought me miracles in the past.

It was almost this time of year i was diagnosed the first timee....maybe spring and I don't like each other.

1 comment:

Karen H. said...

I am glad that you finally have an answer but I am upset that the answer sort of sucks. I am wishing you the best as you begin to kick cancer's ass. Again. I think of you often!